Thursday, April 26, 2018

The West Marches: Character Concepts

In my last post, I invited folks to tell me about their character concepts within a West Marches fictional context, and within a context where characters are defined narratively, rather than via stats.

I posed the following questions as a starting framework, and wow did people ever deliver!

Far beyond the edge of civilization, there's a land that's strange.  Maybe you heard it's where barbarians roam the hills in cunning packs, where goblins steal babies and leave behind twig-constructs, where witches grant power at the price of your dreams, leaving only nightmares.  There are people out here, cities too, yes- but they're like nothing you've never known.  But something has drawn you here nonetheless, to this wild and untamed land.

In this context, what are the MOST IMPORTANT THINGS about your character?  I actually don't think Strdexcon Intwischa is the best way to describe who you are in that setting.  What is?

  • Are you a Human?  Elf?  Dwarf?
  • What is your strength?  Are you Strong?  Quick?  Clever?
  • What are your capabilities?  Do you Have Magic?  Are you Skilled with the Sword?
  • What have you brought with you?  Your Mother's Sword?  A Talisman of Faith?
  • Why are you here?  Do you seek A Cure?  Your Brother?  Gold?  Glory?
Let's look at some of the responses.


Mortal Tier Characters


All of these answers seem like great fits for the "Mortal" tier of play- people of low power and means, venturing into the unknown in search of some nebulous destiny.

One of the things I like about these answers in particular is that they offer enough specificity to spark the imagination, but remain open ended enough that you can imagine these characters engaging in lots of situations!  Their goals are loosely defined, rather than tightly constrained- the threats chasing them nebulous and broad.








Heroic Tier+ Characters


But there was another category of response, of people talking about characters who were already carrying great power and great strangeness.  These responses seem to fit perfectly in one of the higher tiers- Hero, maybe, or even God.  These characters possess clear and strange powers, carry with them weird burdens that behave in unexpected ways, or are searching for a goal that is more concretely tied to something that exists in the wilds.





So, then- in my mind, characters begin in the first category, and grow into the second.  Over time, they learn about the Marches, engage with the strangeness their, growing power in unexpected ways, and also taking on unexpected burdens.


Character Creation - Mortal Tier - Rough Brainstorms


Let's establish some first-pass categories of answers to our character creation questions.  Maybe a "roll 1d6 or choose" scenario?  This is all just rough brainstorms, and not indicative of the final outcome- but brainstorming in circles helps us see where we need continued work, and moves us towards our final goal.


What are you?

  1. Human
  2. Human
  3. Human
  4. Elf
  5. Dwarf
  6. Halfling


What is your strength?

  1. My strength of arm and body.
  2. My keen ability to notice what others overlook.
  3. My will to endure what others could not.
  4. My song, which makes stone weep.
  5. My friends, who I find everywhere I go.
  6. My cunning in the face of all manner of danger.

What is your unique capability?
  1. My collection of spells, carefully hoarded.
  2. My knowledge of battle, leadership, and military discipline.
  3. Few can match me, sword to sword.
  4. My mouth runs almost as fast as my legs do.
  5. My nimble fingers have always served me in a tight spot.
  6. My knowledge of the first part of the name of my god, and the minor miracles it can evoke.

What do you carry with you?
  1. My squire, a heavy reminder of my duty.
  2. My father's broken sword.
  3. A coin on a necklace, a reminder of all I have lost.
  4. A thousand overdue debts.
  5. My brother, my only comfort in times of trial.
  6. Nothing but the clothes on my back.

What do you seek?
  1. To drink deep of life.
  2. My own oblivion.
  3. One last adventure.
  4. Enough gold.
  5. A worthy foe.
  6. Escape from my past.


At first glance, these categories are interesting, but there are obvious answers in some of them that might be best swapped around.  Also, these are excellently descriptive, narratively- but what do they tell us, mechanically?  How do these shape the ways that these characters engage with the rules of the game?

Interesting questions to ponder another time.  Until then, I hope you've enjoyed seeing more about the kinds of characters these questions have inspired!

1 comment:

  1. I love the idea of creating characters using ideas more than statics stuffs. but I see a problem here that I'm having on the design of the game that I'm working on.

    When a mind its so used to some "custom concept" they tend to limit their view, even if the concept its super broad.

    For example: "My song, which makes stone weep." this, for almost anyone, instinctively will think as a bard, even if it could mean another stuffs (like its not that I sing, its what the people sings about me what could make the stone weep).

    it's kinda hard to balance that. In my game to avoid that I'm changing any concept that could be assumed as something for a concept more general (for example: "Behavior Assassin" for "Behavior Opportunist", in game mechanics and concepts it's the same. but for a player the concept of Assassin it's super different between a player of another.)

    But I Still, I love this.

    ReplyDelete